Monday 8 October 2012

ITAP Lecture 2

The two principles I have chosen to write about are Principle 4 & Principle 5, Developing Ideational Fluency & Managing a Creative Environment.

Developing Ideational Fluency
So I don't think I've ever started a project without a mind map or 'brain storm', writing down words in a crazy mess that spring to mind when a certain topic or theme is given. I'm not entirely convinced that this is the best way to generate ideas, for a something that is visual, why write a tonne of words down on a page? I have found more recently that sketches and drawings is a much easier way to get my creative side flowing. Here is an example of what I'm talking about...


          


So you can clearly see here the progression of ideas. however i would like to say that i think this particular project was very narrow minded. I didn't generate enough ideas and ended up with something that was basically a development of my first idea. Having said that I still think there is good fluency between the ideas I had. In the field of idea generation i think it is important for visual communicators to maintain a high level of diversity and freedom in their thinking. The quality of little thumbnail sketches is something that has held me back in the past and I've discounted many thoughts or ideas just because they look terrible on the page. Even I think that they look terrible in my imagination and i don't trust that i will be able to draw or get the idea out 'well enough' but in this lecture we were taught that ideational fluency refers to quantity not quality. As children through school we are taught the opposite, 'quality not quantity' but we need to reverse this mindset to free our minds into thinking outside the box and creating a healthy number of ideas.

Managing a Creative Environment
I was very inspired after out lecture, this out of all the Principles made me prick up my ears the most! I decided that day to go to B&Q and buy some blackboard paint and paint a large section of my wall in my bedroom, right next to my desk and this is the result.

I understand the importance of a creative workspace and how it really does motivate you to be creative all the time! Since doing this i have written a song, drawn all sorts of drawings on the black board and generally had more of a drive for creativity.

I agree with David Hockney when he said, "People have asked me, 'Isn't it boring in Bridlington, a little isolated seaside town?' And I say, 'Not for us. We all think it's very exciting, because it is in my studio and it is in my house.' (David Hockney)". You can have a completely boring, uninspiring and dull hometown, yet still have a vibrant exciting and inspiring workspace that allows you to remain in a creative flow.


I think both of these principles are linked, an inspirational creative workspace is vital for developing and maintaining a healthy and fluent stream of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment